Saturday, August 13, 2011

Good Morning, Happy Farmer's Market Day

When you think Farmer's Market, typically you think Saturday morning.  I know, they are everywhere now.  It used to be hard to find a farmer's market, especially when I was kid.   I grew up in the country.  We lived on a small lake with 7 acres.  There were some farm animals; a couple of pigs and 2 horses.  My grandfather raised the pigs to slaughter them for "pig roasts" the restaurant would host during the summer months.  I remember those being really big events for everyone.  That pig was so delicious.....the meat so fresh tasting.  How could it not be, slaughtered a few hours right before eating.   You can't eat meat any fresher than that.  

That's what you will find at the Millerton Farmer's Market this morning.   A variety of fresh produce grown by local farms in the Hudson Valley, various fresh meats; pork, beef, lamb, and chicken raised by local farmers of the Hudson Valley, and then there are people like me who hand-bake their products using local ingredients (I use local flour, eggs, honey just to name a few of the ingredients), and package them beautifully to share with the community.  Have you tried my granola or granola bars?  If you haven't, you must....they are unlike anything else - a delight for the tastebuds (and the heart too!).

Take a ride up, over, or down to Millerton this morning.  We are there from 9:00-1:00.  Listen to some music, talk to a farmer, baker, or cheesemaker and enjoy yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment